Doc's Freedom Fighters
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

101 Ways To Use A FRU!

Go down

101 Ways To Use A FRU! Empty 101 Ways To Use A FRU!

Post  docattak Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:51 am

Not really 101, but there are many ways to use FRUs.

This is a series of posts that I did for my previous squad, 22SAS. They are posted here 'as is' and so include references about next posts, yesterday etc. Please add any other uses you know and comments.

- FRUs win defences
- FRUs win attacks
- FRUs win campaigns

Many players have taught me a lot about FRUs - I will post 1 or 2 now, then more tomorrow ...
My thanks to Zipeh, Ow, Kildar2, NY75, Dragoz and many more players.

Please think of new ways to use FRUs.

[1] The Alarm Clock FRU
You are guarding a cp - it is very quiet - you are falling asleep - it is boring
- put a FRU up outside of your cp
- if an axis soldier comes to your cp, he will destroy your FRU (silly man!)
- this wakes you up and now you can kill him
- if he doesn't destroy it then you have a way back to the cp if you get killed
NOTE : you need to be subtle where you place it - try to make it look like you are hiding it but do it badly lol

[2] The River Crossing FRU
You need to get soldiers to the other side of a river - the bridge may be down
- drive truck to river
- set up FRU
- swim across river
- set new FRU on other side (timer should be ok - 10 minutes)
- now your guys can spawn in on the other side of the river

A not very well known fact about FRUs
FRUs have to be placed at least 400m from the enemy location.
When you are busting an FB the 400m is marked from the FB marker on your ingame map.
Sometimes you can put the FRU 100m away from one of the spawns because of where the FB marker is on the map!

I hope this helps.
FRUs WIN WARS - use them often and learn all of the tricks of placement!

Last edited by docattak on Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:08 am; edited 3 times in total

docattak

Back to top Go down

101 Ways To Use A FRU! Empty Re: 101 Ways To Use A FRU!

Post  docattak Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:53 am

Some uses of the FRU are fun, but may still be useful
This is one I have not tried - it just occured to me a few minutes ago!

[3] The Upside-Down FRU
You are driving a laffley to set up a FRU and you have already gone a long way :
- you lose concentration, and end up in a berm or just roll your truck over - upside down
- usually you would now just swear '****' and despawn and start again
- just set up a FRU from inside your truck
- despawn and respawn at your FRU as infantry (engineer, LMG etc.)
- run to a good place to set up your FRU

I'm in thinking mode for some reason - another one I just thought of!

[4] The Diversion FRU
You are in need of a diversion while you do a job!
- find a dangerous spot for a FRU and set the FRU up
- run to the place where you intend to really hit the axis
- put a message up in chat "free beer and women at my FRU $miss"
- with a bit of luck a lot of people will spawn in at your FRU and you have your diversion!

Most of these FRUs will be serious ones, but I feel in a fun mood today

[5] The Para FRU
- set up a FRU from a linked town for paras only
- this causes confusion for the defenders as they do not know whether they have come in by air or not
- they might suspect a bigger force than it actually is
- they may not go looking for the FRU

[6] The Farmhouse FRU
Used when defending in a town where the AB bunker is located away from the spawn (usually a walled farmyard with farm buildings)
- set up FRU in Farmhouse
- it is quicker to get to your bunker rather than spawning at Inf spawn
- if farm and bunker are camped you can still spawn in beside the bunker - spawning from Inf spawn you will not reach the farm and the bunker

[7] The Tank FRU
Use a fru to resupply your tank.
- drive a truck in, put up a fru.
- come back with a tank, shoot lots of axis
- come back to the FRU to reload and do it again
You can only reload once though.

Enjoy - tomorrow we have the Ghost FRU - scary affraid

docattak

Back to top Go down

Post  docattak Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:01 am

[8] The Isolated CP FRU
Sometimes one of the cps in a town you are defending is a long way from the rest of the town
- even worse, it is often a spawnable for the axis, or not spawnable for Allied
- you have a long way to run to it which wastes time and it might be very dangerous.

If you are spawning into the town before the attack has really started, and intend staying a while then
- create your own mission from the armybase and drive a truck to the co and set-up a FRU - well-hidden if possible
- despawn and carry on at the armybase or wherever you want
- it you leave to go elsewhere then pass the mission to somebody else to keep the FRU alive
- finally, make it clear in the mission orders where the FRU is going to

Then if the axiis cap the cp you can get there quickly - also if the guard reports ei in the cp or you are just checking the cp - all are easier and quicker.

An Example
Last night at Bethune the aixs captured the South CP which is a bit isolated from the main town. They set up a good defensive position covering the approach to the cp and allied guys where getting shot regularly - it was hard to get that cp back. Two things
- if at the start of the defence an Isolated CP FRU had been set up further South of the cp then we would have had 2 direction to attack the cp from and they would need more cover, more men.
- when the cp was captured by our guys I drove a truck to South of the cp to set up an Isolated CP FRU in case axis capped it again BUT I had just set it up when my pc crashed - you can beat the axis but you can't beat a pc crash!

[9] The Ghost FRU
Zipeh has many great ideas for using FRUs, some are more practical than others. The Ghost FRU is one of his.

You are defending a town and reports come in of ei spotted 1 or 2 km away - obviously from a FRU :
- you go to kill the FRU (and any enemy soldiers)
- you find the FRU and kill it OR it is well-hidden so you need to look harder and longer to find it
- you know it is there somewhere
- but it is a Ghost - it is not there

The guy who set it up and then drove elsewhere (other side of town) waited until he saw, from the ingame map, that one of the guys spawning from his FRU had been killed
- now the enemy knows about the FRU
- so he despawns, leaving any guys who are called out to find the FRU trying to find a Ghost
- meanwhile he spawns another truck and repeats the process on the other side of town or just attacks from there!

One guy can cause a lot of confusion if he tries!

Last edited by docattak on Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:01 am; edited 1 time in total

docattak

Back to top Go down

Post  docattak Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:05 am

[10] The Behind Enemy Lines FRU
When you are defending a town and the axis forces are many coming from a broad area it can be very difficult for infantry to get behind the axis line to get at the FRUs which are causing the problems.
- a truck is a much faster way of getting behind enemy lines, it can made a wide route to avoid the enemy forces and come from behind their lines
- now our guys can pour in and attack from behind and destroy the FRUs
- NO FRUs - usually means no attack - armour can't cap!
This often needs to be done quickly as it might be danger time for the town.
Better would have been to leave a couple of FRUs behind the line you expect axis FRUs to go at the start??? Maybe they got destroyed.
There's nothing better than getting the axis from behind

Timing and placing of FRUs can make the difference between victory and defeat. If you are ml (mission leader) and see a chance to set up a FRU, just do it, even if you have no use for it. The more FRUs we have on the battlefield, the more access we have to that battlefield and the more the axis have to destroy to stop us.

An Example From Last Night
The axis forces were attacking from the North and East. I drove truck out West and circled N of the axis line - I left a good distance between me and the axis forces, found a good spot and set up my FRU. I despawned and respawned, intending to hide further North to protect the FRU, also I was there to set up another one if I needed to. An ei was there, killed me and destroyed the FRU.

The Lesson To Be Learned
When YOU are the attacking force and you have FRUs set up, keep one or two guys well behind you lines to reset their FRUs if they get destroyed AND ALSO to guard against enemy FRUs getting behind your lines. All very simple and easy, but how often does it get done. (Most players wouldn't bother to do this, most squads wouldn't boter to do this, sometimes you haven't enough guys to do this Watching you guys last night this is one squad that probably thinks of everything!

So that is two stories of me setting up FRUs - both failed for different reasons
(i) my pc crashing
(ii) the axis doing their job well - damn!
But I'll keep looking for every reason I can to set up a FRU.

FRUs and FBs Win Wars

[11] The Close Distance FB/CP Attack FRU
This needs organisation and is best done by a squad. Let's attack an FB.
Usually FRUs are very well hidden we want them to live for a long time
This FRU is wanted for one or two minutes only.
- a good sneaky (furtivo?) guy gets as close as he can to the FB while still able to set a FRU
- this means that the rest of the squad can complete the previous task
- the idea is that when the FRU is finally ready to be set up the squad all get ready to spawn in togther on command
- the 'furtivo' guys tells them the direction to go when they spawn
- the furtivo guys yells 'Go' or 'C2C' or ...
- they all appear at the same time and take the FB

If the FB is empty, then this is an efficient way of taking the FB, and if 1 or 2 ei appear he is no problem to the squad.
If the FB is guarded then the furtivo guy will know what the squad will have to kill and they can bring 2 LMG, ATR etc. as well as engineers - or just suppress the inf base.

Using the FRU in a co-ordinated way, all arriving at the same time can solve many situations where arriving 2 or 3 at a time just gets squad members killed.

NOTE : For a fast spawn into the battlefield via a FRU, we have all experienced the 2 or 3 minutes wait lol. Just spawn in before the guy has set the FRU (or spawn in and don't use the FRU) - now spawn out and wait for the FRU/call and then you spawn in ommediately - this way you can all appear at the same time!

docattak

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum